Jonathan D. Gippe, Sr., PMP
Executive / Director – Program Management
Vision | Execution | Results
Skilled manager in directing successful execution of fast-track, multi-million dollar projects with Fortune-level clients, consistently achieving project objectives.
Cost-cutting innovator, who developed pragmatic solutions for slashing millions of dollars in operating expenses.
Accomplished leader with excellent communications, customer relations, and team-building skills.
PMBOK Standards & Practices Inside & Outside Plant Engineering Vendor Negotiations
Effective Project Management Practices Establishing Project Scope Risk Assessment & Mitigation
Business Development Budget Administration Cost Reduction Initiatives
Operating System Implementation Client Relations Team Training & Mentoring
Senior Manager, Central Office (CORE) Engineering September 2007 to Present
XO Communications, Inc. Edison, NJ
A provider of telecommunications and IT infrastructure services with annualized revenues of $1.5 billion.
Report to the Director, Central Office (CORE); direct a national team of engineers in execution of projects and management of infrastructure and facilities including 4,000 point-of-presence (POP) sites and 150 central offices, data centers, and headquarters locations. Provide power (AC/DC/UPS/Generator), fire suppression, alarming, access control, and environmental compliance, along with cable and fiber management infrastructure.
- Executed an average of 40 projects per year with a capital budget in excess of $10M and operation’s budget of $1M, with project ranges from $200 to $800K and multi-year work of up to $20M.
- Initiated an energy savings program implemented company wide, saving $2.8M over six years.
- Reduced expenditures ~30% by minimizing sole source waivers and implementing a more rigorous, competitive bid process.
- Slashed power costs by $4.1M annually by reducing bulk power feeds within ILEC Local Service Offices.
- Key contributor to a $7.3 million savings by site consolidation and achieving increased productivity per ft2 on other properties. Continued savings through 2017 are upwards to $17M.
- Revised the organization’s standard Methods of Procedures (MOP) language specific to the emergency back-out/recovery action plan, as well as congruency with national safety codes.
- Served in client-facing roles during contract negotiations and execution efforts with Fortune-level Internet search, social media, healthcare, financial organizations, and the U.S. government.
- Trained and mentored teams that consistently ranked as the highest-performing group for the last five years.
- Received the eXtreme Award for performance during Hurricane Sandy, for service restorations as National Tier II Support Manager.
Senior Engineer/Interim Manager, Engineering-Implementation September 2003 to September 2007
Zayo Bandwith (Formerly PPL Telcom, LLC) Allentown, PA
Joined this near-startup organization, eventually managing 6 network engineers and 1 financial analyst. Exercised broad-based responsibilities in development of engineering work packages, bidding, procurement, capital budget preparation, cost feasibility studies, and other critical areas. Conducted site surveys; established site access and fiber lease agreements to facilitate project completion.
- Directed all aspects of project execution including scope development, budgets, schedules, risk mitigation strategies, and communications plans.
- Authored and deployed the initial series of standards, operating policies, and reporting procedures establishing a sound, uniform operating framework including:
- Capacity Utilization Report – Forecasted network augments, avoiding delays associated with application processes.
- Colocation Cost Abatement – Through circuit grooming and network foot print consolidation, generated an immediate 10% savings.
- Colocation Filing System – Documented installed equipment for over 36 sites. This resource was key in determining site capacity, review of administration processes, and billing activities.
- Process Flow Chart – A graphical representation supporting better execution and speed to market enhancing revenue growth.
- Developed a partnership with a Six Sigma refurbishment vendor, generating savings between 30-40% on Cisco network equipment.
- Implemented a $600K on-time, on-budget, workflow management system saving 30% over a similarly functioned OSS.
Manager, Architectural Engineering September 2000 to September 2003
XO Communications Edison, NJ
Managed multi-discipline construction engineering teams in the construction of a national footprint for large-scale telecommunications facilities. Prepared estimated construction budget expenditures for capital budget considerations and funding.
- Coordinated new buildouts, and expansions of existing facilities determining upgrades for power, HVAC or other services with architectural/engineering firms, contractors, and vendors.
- Established the first-ever, construction engineering standards, policies, and procedures in conjunction with with the development of the company’s Central Office Engineering Department.
OSP Engineer/Project Manager September 1998 to September 2000
XO Communications (formerly NEXTLINK) Wyomissing, PA
Directed inside and outside plant (ISP/OSP) engineering using aerial and underground building methods. Installed fiber optic facilities, such as nodes, switches, and virtual on-net (VON) buildings. Performed broadband wireless-related construction activities such as local multi-point distribution systems (LMDS).
Contracts Manager, Information Systems/Technology Management July 1998 to September 1998
Unity Health Systems Rochester, NY
OSP/ISP/Safety Engineer (Multiple Positions) December 1996 to July 1998
MFS Network Technologies, Inc. Rochester, NY
M.B.A. – Master’s studies in business (currently on hold)
Colorado State University, GPA 3.91 Fort Collins, CO
B.S. – Civil Engineering Technology – ABET Accredited
Rochester Institute of Technology Rochester, NY
A.A.S. – Civil Engineering Technology – ABET Accredited
State University of New York Canton, NY
Certified Project Management Professional (PMP) Project Management Institute Newton Square, PA
Project Management Institute (PMI) Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
Disaster Recovery Institute (DRI) American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
Phi Theta Kappa (International Honor Society)
Involved in coaching and training youth-league soccer, basketball, lacrosse, and flag football.